Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Welcome to Where The Sweet Olive Grows

New Orleanians are not just the people who reside in the Crescent City. New Orleanians are the Crescent City. Most visitors to our city find it hard to believe that anyone actually lives here, much less hold jobs and actually get things done. But I can assure you that it is a working city. Every day is not Mardi Gras, but we often have parades. Jazz Fest is not every weekend, but we do have a wealth of live music. The city is filled with music. It's everywhere. From the ragtime ensemble that plays daily on Royal Street, to the lone trombone player who casually asks passersby "Whatchoo wanna hear? Jazz? Blues? Dixieland or Gospel?" I think I've even heard him play "I Will Survive" on his trombone, and it was as moving as if it were a dirgeful rendition of "The Old Rugged Cross".

I often say that we are not without our disadvantages here in New Orleans, but I can't imagine living anywhere else. The wonderful things that are so natural and at home in this city, far outweigh any inconveniences that we might encounter along the way. It is certainly an interesting place to live to say the very least about it.It is easy to see why creative people have made this beautiful and sometimes weird place their home. It is not for everyone, but I'm so glad it is for us. It is certainly not "middle America" or Anytown, USA. It is New Orleans. The Crescent City. The Big Easy.The City That Care Forgot. And I say "Hallelujah!"

No comments:

Post a Comment